4.09.2010

It's All in the Attitude

Every time I get in and start my car, I crank the music up loud and sing right along. If you're a good friend of mine, you've probably experienced this. If you haven't, you may just not have known me long enough yet. Just wait for it... As I head down the highway, hands at ten and two (yes, I'm a nerd who still follows what I learned in driver's ed), it's my singing time, sometimes it's cell phone time, but very often it's also my reflection time. As I drove to a store this evening, I sang along to the Lady Antebellum music on my newest CD. If you like country music, I recommend it! Anyhow, as this was going on, I also contemplated how extremely happy I am with my job and how much I appreciate the wonderful people in my life. "I'm just so happy right now!" I thought. But this occasion wasn't the first time that I had been thinking that. Life has been sooo good lately. It's hard to pinpoint anything in particular, but sometimes you just sit back and realize how blessed you are and how content you are in your current place in life. It's a wonderful feeling and of course I'm so very thankful for it. As blessed as I am though, I've faced days where I wasn't in the best of moods or where God has given me some challenges where I needed to be patient and wait on His timing. It occurred to me that perhaps many of my feelings of joy and happiness are really very much my choice. Will I focus on the positive or the negative? Should I choose to put on a smile and greet others with a chipper attitude or instead you sulk in the little problems? Might I lift others up today or will I instead draw them down? It's all in the attitude!

I once read an excellent thought about James 1:2. The verse says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." The author of the particular passage I read emphasized that we should "consider it pure joy...WHENEVER YOU FACE TRIALS of many kinds..." Unfortunately, trials and challenges are a fact of life. We were never guaranteed a ride through life with no bumps or potholes. Nonetheless, isn't it encouraging to hear that good comes of this? Be joyful in all of these things because it will only make us strong in Him!

Every day is new, every blessing or challenge a fresh opportunity to approach with joy and optimism. I love these feelings of joy and contentment. You make your choice and I'll make mine. It's all in the attitude, and as for me, I'm going to keep riding this wave for as long as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment