4.25.2010

Living with Style

I truly enjoy reading excellent quotes. I have one particular website that a friend once showed me that just has lists and lists of quotes from various song lyrics, books, TV shows, and well-known individuals. Isn't it amazing how a few words or sentences from an individual can so deeply strike a chord with another human being as if they had a window into your thoughts and emotions? As I browsed through some new quotes on that particular site, I stumbled upon one with which I felt an immediate connection. Therefore, I have decided to briefly focus on these words from Maya Angelou in this blog post.

"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style."
-Maya Angelou

I love the first part of this quote as it reminds me not to get stuck in the monotony of a routine but to approach each day with renewed fervor and energy. Next, she suggests that an individual incorporate passion in life. I love this! As you set goals or embark upon new endeavors, choose those which you truly care about and in which you will be able to easily throw your energies. For me, I've found that working as an educator is most certainly my passion which makes the challenges I might occasionally face in this position surmountable and the victories that much more worth celebrating. Maya Angelou also lists compassion as a key life component; whenever we take the time to give back to our friends, families, neighbors, community, and world, we are able to shift our egocentric views outward in loving others as God has commanded us. In addition to passion and compassion, we then should add humor to our lives. Growing up in a family where laughter and humor is valued, I find that incorporating this into my life helps to lighten up my view when I get too serious about the little things. I think we can all agree that there is no better medicine in any situation than to laugh so hard that your stomach aches and tears are rolling down your face! Lastly, the quote lists style as an important element of life. Live each moment being the true you, not an imitation of someone else. March to the beat of your own drum. Dance your own dance! Celebrating the diversity of personalities and styles of each person make our world a colorful, interesting place to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment