5.30.2010

Be Still and Know

Tomorrow morning, I am heading to spend my summer working at one of my very favorite places. I know it probably seems strange to think of being that extremely anxious to start a summer job, but my employment for the next two months will be a very unique and wonderful experience. I have the privilege to work as a staff member at Indian Creek Baptist Camp, a church camp which I attended as a child and in more recent years have spent weeks as a cabin leader for elementary age campers.

Whenever I tell people about this job, I know that they may just brush it off as working at a summer camp. Yes, there are many camps that exist out there and which I believe provide wonderful experiences for youth across the nation. Maybe I'm even a little bit biased, but I think that Indian Creek is a place like no other. I'd be willing to say that much of my connection to this place goes back to my own days as a camper. I can still remember begging my parents to let us leave for camp early so that I would be one of the first to the cabin and thus have the best pick of bunk beds. Flash forward about a decade and a half and I still see glimpses of that little girl excitement shining through. I can barely wait to get there this year too! However, I believe my deep connection to this place runs so much deeper. It's the wonderful Christian friends I have made there, the heartfelt songs of worship which have been offered up during chapel, the tears running down faces of those laying down deep burdens and surrendering to God. It's walking down a trail into the woods to read Scripture, listening to a testimony shared during campfire, or quietly swaying to the motion of the much loved swings all while feeling the presence of God in this place. As a Christian, I am able to find God in any place where I look for His presence, but there is something so beautiful about eliminating the distractions of the world and turning my eyes to the cross. I know that the summer will be filled with hot days and hard work, but more than anything I feel fortunate to have such an opportunity to see lives impacted and changed.

I know that not everyone has the opportunity or ability to get away to a retreat, conference, or camp. However, I challenge you to take time this week to contemplate a place where you can sit quietly and truly seek God's presence. It may not be in a camp chapel service or dining hall but perhaps your office, bedroom, or car during your morning commute.

Turn off the TV. Silence the cellphone. Push pause on your iPod. Stop talking. Take time to simply BE with our Creator.

"Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

No comments:

Post a Comment