6.30.2011

Empowered by Knowledge

One of an array of reasons that I am a teacher is because I truly love to learn.  I may be the one delivering information to my students through a variety of lessons, activities, and texts throughout the school year, but it's truly reciprocal.  They take me back to what it's like to be a fifth grader, they help me learn how to be a better educator, and they even reveal to me much about myself.  Humbling, yes.  Also pretty neat when I stop and think about it.

Earlier this week, I began a new journey as a teacher...  I have begun my first course in my Language Education master's degree program.  I'll admit I was a little nervous at first.  It's daunting to think of juggling my teaching career with going to class, thoroughly reading, and writing papers.  I'm continually amazed by teachers who do it all, and they remind me that I can do it too!  I have to say that being back in a classroom as a student for two class sessions now has been exhilarating.  I love discussions and learning about new information and ways of thinking.  I'm especially intrigued by the variety of individuals in this foundations course.  We come from an array of educational areas, and a few of the individuals aren't actually even teachers but work in closely related fields.  It takes me back to my Hanover days to participate in discussions and to be challenged in my thinking as others share their ideas, experiences, and interpretations.

I want to be a lifelong learner, and this is just another step in that path.  It's wonderful to feel so empowered by knowledge. 

No comments:

Post a Comment