6.23.2011

Simply Inspired

Today we wrapped up the third day of the writer's workshop I have been attending (and which I mentioned in my last blog post just a few days ago).  To say that it was impactful doesn't do it justice.  I was simply inspired.  The lessons taught by the talented presenter were so valuable to me, and I can't wait to translate them into my own teaching come August.

Aside from the professional growth I experienced in these sessions, I was also inspired in a whole other way.  As I last wrote, one aspect of the conference was for the attendees to participate in writing time and to each begin constructing a work of our choice.  I began a piece that touches me deeply, that connects me to my childhood and more importantly to my heart.  I can't wait to see where it takes me.

 Another profound thing that I witnessed was the dual nature of the writing experience in relationships with other conference attendees.  On one hand, we each were working on our own unique pieces of choice.  Some were bent over their notebooks frantically scrawling words on the page before they forgot the perfect phrases, yet still others paused to wipe the solitary tears that had slid down their cheeks as their writing had released emotions and memories that still sting.  While allowing us each the chance to reflect and work individually, it also brought us closer together through our sharing and growing (albeit little in such a short time) as writers.

In wrapping up the conference, our presenter Katie Wood Ray asked us to each choose no more than twenty words of our writing to share with the entire group.  While standing in an enormous circle, we passed the microphone from hand to hand and bravely presented our ideas to the other educators.  It was beautiful to hear the intricate crafting that some had labored over, the witty remarks, and the soulful thoughts.  It was humbling to hear the skill of many gifted writers, yet taught me lessons in the value of each unique style.

After these three days, I can only sum up such a great experience by telling you that I am simply inspired. 

No comments:

Post a Comment