6.09.2011

Sending Love Around the World

Sometimes I get stuck in my own little bubble in my own little world. Aren't we all like that at times? We worry about our own agenda, our schedule, work, school, friends, family, etc. It's all about us. Yet if we stop for just a moment, we might remember that as important as we each are, we are simply a small piece in the greater scheme of the world. I recognize that I often need to widen my scope to the needs and happenings of my surrounding community. I am aware that there are many who need prayers and support in our nation. Furthermore, I see that there are countries around the world whose citizens do not enjoy the freedoms, financial security, and blessings that I have in my life.

One way that I have been able to reach out in love and touch another outside of the scope of my own life is through a unique and amazing organization called Compassion International. I want to introduce to a very special little girl in my life. Paola is a beautiful 10 year old 4th grader that I sponsor in Ecuador. After visiting Compassion's website several months ago, I browsed through a long list of needy children waiting for sponsorship. Because of my interest and studies in Spanish, I decided to choose a Spanish speaking country. In particular, Paola seemed like the perfect fit because she and I also share the same birthday. Each month I contribute through Compassion International to help support Paola's education, health, well-being, and opportunities to learn about God. Not only is it very fulfilling to know that I am reaching out to one of God's sweet children, but the organization also allows me to correspond with Paola. Today I was so excited to open a response handwritten by Paola and translated for me into English. She told me, "I want to become a teacher or a singer. I prefer to become a teacher like you." I honestly don't know tons of information about this little girl and her family, but I know it is worth every penny to help provide her opportunities and most importantly to allow her to be surrounded by nurturing Christian individuals. How wonderful if someday she might get to teach young children like I have the opportunity to do in my own life!

In addition to Compassion International's wide-reaching and well developed program, I am also reassured by the many sponsors who speak out in support of the organization. By visiting Compassion's website, you can watch a variety of promotional videos by various Christian music artists. One of my favorites, seen if you click here and choose the second video, details the singers of the group Point of Grace and their visits to meet their sponsored children.

Maybe you too will feel the call to reach out to a child in need. Perhaps you will take a moment to stop and pray for Paola and other children around the world like her. If nothing else, I that you might take a moment to step outside your personal concerns and worries and to think about others around you as well. Just as we have been commanded, "Love one another just as Christ loved you." John 15:12

No comments:

Post a Comment